Tuesday, August 27, 2013

We're Joyfully, Joyfully Marching to Our Home...

Hey Family!

Well, it's finished.  I've got one last night of proselyting and then I begin the process that leads me to the land of never-ending Preparation Days.  This week, being as true to form as the mission can be, was filled with appointments falling through.  It actually feels great having this week with no farewells, no ado, just work it until it's done.  I tried to just slip away into the background and I was glad that it wasn't announced in sacrament meeting.  It was a wonderfully uplifting and inspiring meeting.  The speakers spoke on choice and accountability, forgiveness, and repentance with the meeting being finished with a powerful testimony of the Atonement given by the last speaker.

We had interviews with President and Sister Bernhisel this week, and everyone in our district found out their transfer news almost a week early because of it.  Every companionship (except the zone leaders of course) will be training.  The new district leader will be one of the Leland Elders.  It was an interesting district meeting that day because it didn't have that somber feeling that the last district meeting of the transfer usually has.  Maybe because rather than going with the traditional "God Be With You Till We Meet Again" I decided that we should sing "We Are All Enlisted" as our closing hymn.  It kept an energetic spirit in the meeting.  We'll have most of the district at transfer meeting, which will be quite fun.

In one of our lessons this week, we were teaching a brother who hadn't been to church in a while.  He spent a lot of the lesson telling us how much he loved the church and how Joseph Smith was his hero. You could imagine our surprise when we finished the lesson and to close his prayer he said "Thank You Sir" and then started getting up.  It caught all of us off guard.  That was surely a first for me.

I love North Carolina so much.  There is nothing better than the experiences I've had with the people down here and I will forever have a love for the South and especially all of the wonderful Southerners.  There has been nothing better, however, than coming to know in a very real way that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, the Savior of the world.  I cannot express enough my gratitude for my mission in helping me to gain that knowledge.  I hope I can continue to build on the things that I've learned out here because I know that I'm not perfect yet (or even anywhere close).  My mission has taught me how I can work on that and especially how I can pattern my life on the gospel of Jesus Christ.

The South will rise again.

Love,
Elder Perryman

No comments:

Post a Comment