Monday, August 5, 2013

Meeting My Grandson

Hey Family!

This week hit something like a bag of pianos.  As I've entered into my last month of my mission, the other missionaries in the zone have been quick to remind me of my own mortality as a missionary. This week, we had our Zone Leader Training Meeting.  We have something of a tradition in this mission where the departing missionaries are asked to bear their testimonies in their last zone meeting.  Even though I had plenty of advance warning, when the moment came that I was asked to bear my testimony it still came as a shock.  I had a bit of trouble speaking at the beginning.  It's heart-wrenching to have to admit that all of this has an end.  As a missionary you get into this feeling like you've been doing it forever, and you will continue to do it forever.  The realization of course is that when I get transferred this one final time, my rules will change, and I'll have to hang up the badge, but my purpose will remain the same.  I can still do this forever, but the way I'll do it will change.

At Zone Leader Training Meeting I was able to meet the missionary that Elder Dewey is training (my grandson).  Attached are some pictures of the family.  It was the first and probably last time I'll see him, which was a weird thought.  I've been able to see a significant improvement in my public speaking abilities ever since being called as a district leader. It feels so natural now to get up and do instructions in those meetings.  A lot of the missionaries in the zone had no idea that this is my last transfer and I got a lot of people coming up to me afterwards and telling me that they never would have guessed, which is pretty good.  At least I don't carry the appearance of someone who's slacking off at the end.

Well, we're running out of time, but I look forward to hearing from y'all next week, especially from James.

Love,
Elder Perryman




No comments:

Post a Comment